Monday, September 6, 2010

Steve Somers More Than a Schmoozer on WFAN Radio in New York City

Steve Somers, aka The Schmoozer has been a staple on WFAN since the early days. Somers used to call himself Captain Midnight while doing the overnights on the air. My Wife and I were in Montreal on St. Patrick’s Day 2009 to watch the Rangers defeat the Canadiens at the Bell Centre. On the walk back to the hotel among the very sad Montreal fans a guy who was sitting on the sidewalk leaning on a wall barked out at me “MARK MESSIER” to get my attention. I was wearing my white Brian Leetch jersey so the barking of Messier worked. He promptly asked for a donation then asked if Steve Somers was still on WFAN. He said he used to listen to Somers on the overnight broadcasts. I helped him out a bit and we spoke about Somers, Mo Vaughn and hockey. I’ve called The Fan (WFAN) to speak with Steve and have gotten on the air but never told him that story. Maybe I’ll call him this week and bring it up. One of the last times I called Somers I’d just gotten home from The Garden after a tough Ranger loss. Steve asked me, dripping with the sarcasm, if I had a good time. I told him the best part of the night was the pastrami sandwich, at $12.50 no less. He loved it. Here’s a good report on Somers from NY1.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment