Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ravens Waived Defensive End Trevor Pryce Yesterday and Jets Scoop Him Up Today – He’s Now a Jet

The Baltimore Ravens waived defensive end Trevor Pryce yesterday from the 53-man roster to sign safety Ken Hamlin. The Ravens didn’t expect anyone to sign Pryce and planned on resigning him Monday. The Jets’ GM Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Rex Ryan scooped him up immediately today and he’s now a Jet. Ryan couldn’t speak highly enough of Pryce who was on the Raven team when Ryan was the defensive coordinator. There is an unwritten rule that when a team waives a player and they plan on signing him later nobody will sign that player, but the Jets never received a call or got a heads-up from the Ravens. Pryce turned down a subsequent offer from the Ravens and decided to join Gang Green. Defensive tackle Howard Green was released by the Jets today to make roster room for Pryce. Green was signed after defensive tackle Kris Jenkins was placed on injured reserve and lost to season ending injury two weeks ago. I wonder how pissed off Raven’s GM Ozzie Newsome is right now. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

After hearing of the Pryce signing Bart Scott said:
“When Rex left, everybody wanted to leave with him anyway,” Scott added, saying he gets called from players around the league asking him to put a good word in with Ryan. “Tell Rex to come get me,” Scott said players ask him.
At the press conference today Trevor Pryce said:
On if his agent already made the deal for him to go the Jets before he knew about it…

It was kind of like there were some other teams that called, but he knew that if Rex called, that’s where I was going. It was literally like that. My niece and daughter are supposed to be going to Six Flags this weekend and I was really looking forward to going [laughter]. Rex is like, “No, you’re playing against the Bills on Sunday.” [laughter] "What? No, I’m not. I’m going to Six Flags." “No, you’re playing against the Bills on Sunday.” That lets you know. It came out of nowhere and again when Rex calls me at least, that’s the way I feel. He calls me, I answer the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment