Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rangers Waived Rissmiller, Voros and Brashear Tuesday

The Rangers waived Patrick Rissmiller, Aaron Voros and Donald Brashear yesterday. Brashear and Rissmiller were no brainers, especially since Rissmiller played for about ten minutes with the Blueshirts and Brashear was just a bad concept from the beginning. I like Voros and he was a good team player who did everything he could to get as much ice time as possible but simply didn’t impress the coaching staff enough. Voros tried the role of enforcer and that experiment didn’t work. The solid fourth line play of Shelley and Prust meant more healthy scratches last year for Voros. I don’t know if the Rangers will buy out their contracts but that deadline is today at 5:00 PM EDT.
When talking about his role on the team with Rangers' beat writer Andrew Gross, Brashear was confused, asking, "Do they want a showman like they had in Orr, or do they want a guy who can play and fight?"
When I spoke with Nick Fotiu last summer at the Rangers Fan Fest I asked him about the Brashear signing and how I loved Colton Orr. Nick was quiet, he took the high road. After my comment of “Yeah I loved Colton Orr, he had heart, protected his teammates and we could have had him for less. I hate Brashear, always did, now I have to root for him? Maybe if he clears out in front of Henrik (goalie)…”
Nick Fotiu said to me, as he was clenching and skaking his right fist, “I WISH I WAS STILL PLAYING. HE [Brashear] WOULDN’T LAST TWO SECONDS!"
I thanked Nick for the autographed picture and totally agreed with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment