Saturday, July 23, 2011

Doc Emrick Calls it Quits as Devils’ Play-by-Play Announcer After 21 Years

Photo Credit redwings.nhl.com
Doc Emrick, the long time play-by-play announcer with the New Jersey Devils has decided to step down after 21 years in the broadcast booth. Emrick will continue with NBC’s and Versus’ NHL TV broadcasts but felt it was time to lighten his regular season schedule with fewer games. Here is an excerpt from his letter on devils.nhl.com:

Since my contracts with MSG, VERSUS, and NBC all expired late this spring, this was another of those times. I discovered that the birth certificate couldn't be changed and it showed me to be 65 in a few days.

I've been extremely fortunate to have been able to spend 23 incredible years with the MSG Network channels and 21 equally enjoyable years--including 3 Stanley Cup championships--with the New Jersey Devils. However, considering the long-term significance of this decision, I was able to construct a lighter regular season-schedule and the usual complement of Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final games for NBC and VERSUS.

But that assurance of less travel and fewer games has regrettably led me to end my association with the MSG Network channels and the Devils.

No comments:

Post a Comment